It’s safe to conclude that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Drivers who shop around for better prices are likely to switch car insurance companies because of the good chance of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent car insurance study discovered that drivers who regularly compared price quotes saved over $3,450 over four years compared to people who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance in Miami is your intention, then having a good understanding how to get rate quotes and compare insurance can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
The most effective way to find cheaper prices for Mercury Mariner insurance in Miami is to start comparing prices regularly from different companies in Florida. This can be done by following these guidelines.
- First, read and learn about car insurance and the steps you can take to prevent rate increases. Many things that drive up the price such as multiple speeding tickets and a bad credit score can be amended by paying attention to minor details. This article provides additional ideas to help prevent costly coverage and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the price quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available in Miami. If you can save some money, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Fourth, notify your current company of your intent to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new insurer. Immediately place the new certificate of insurance in your glove compartment.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is to use similar limits and deductibles on every quote and and to compare every insurance company. This guarantees a level playing field and a thorough price selection.
Learn How to Get Auto Insurance for Less
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the factors that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make good choices that may result in better auto insurance rates.
The list below includes some of the most rate-impacting factors used by insurance companies to determine your rate level.
Premiums drop with age – Teenage drivers in Florida have a tendency to get distracted easily when driving with friends therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. Adding a teenage driver to your policy can be quite pricey. Older, more experienced drivers are shown to be more cautious, tend to cause fewer accidents, and get fewer tickets.
The data below is based on a single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Occupation stress can make you pay more – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations such as judges, executives, and dentists usually pay higher average rates due to intense work-related stress and long work days. On the flip side, careers like actors, students and homemakers get better rates.
- Do you know your coverage deductibles? – The deductibles are how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. Protection for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be rear-ending another vehicle, animal collisions, and having a roll-over accident. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the better rate you will receive.
- File insurance claims and pay more – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can expect higher rates. Car insurance companies in Florida award lower rates to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. Your car insurance is intended for larger claims.
- Deter theft and reduce prices – Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart auto theft and help lower rates.
- Use one insurance company and save – Most larger insurers apply discounts to insureds who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to ten percent or more. Even with this discount, you may still want to comparison shop to ensure the best deal.
Type of car determines base costs – The performance of the car you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. The lowest rates are generally reserved for the lowest performance passenger vehicles, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
The next chart uses these assumptions: single male driver age 20, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It shows Mercury Mariner car insurance rates compared to other models of vehicles that have different performance risks.
- Liability insurance is critical – Liability insurance provides coverage when you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
Mercury Mariner insurance coverage information
The price information shown below outlines detailed analysis of prices for Mercury Mariner models. Learning a little about how policy rates are figured can be valuable when making decisions when shopping your coverage around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Mariner Premier 2WD||$248||$450||$334||$20||$100||$1,152||$96|
|Mariner Hybrid 2WD||$248||$532||$392||$24||$118||$1,314||$110|
|Mariner Premier AWD||$280||$450||$334||$20||$100||$1,184||$99|
|Mariner Hybrid AWD||$280||$532||$392||$24||$118||$1,346||$112|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rate quotes do not factor in your specific Miami location which can affect coverage rates substantially.
Auto insurance rates by age and gender in Miami
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Mercury Mariner insurance costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The example below visualizes the comparison of Mercury Mariner car insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The premiums assume a clean driving record, no claims, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no definitive rule of when to exclude comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s assume your Mercury Mariner settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If premium cost is more than $400 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where eliminating full coverage is not a good plan. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Insurance discounts help lower rates for Mercury Mariner insurance in Miami
Some insurers don’t always list their entire list of discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common and the more hidden insurance savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for better insurance rates.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Larger insurance companies have a small discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current coverage expires. This discount can save up to 10%.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring multiple cars on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Defensive Driver – Participating in a course in safe driver can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Miami Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Miami can help you save on insurance since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Full Payment Discount – By paying your entire bill at once instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Professional Memberships – Participating in qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount when shopping for insurance.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings up to 30%.
Discounts lower rates, but most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck. But any discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
The information below visualizes the comparison of Mercury Mariner insurance rates with and without discounts. The price estimates are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Florida state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and marriage discounts applied.
A list of insurance companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including renewal discount, youthful driver, multi-vehicle, driver training, good student, 55 and retired, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for multi-policy, safety features, newly retired, teen driver discount, exclusive group savings, and new graduate.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including student away at school, anti-theft, accident-free, multiple policy, and good driver.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has discounts for mature driver, student away at school, paid in full, safe vehicle, air bags, multiple vehicles, and paperless.
- GEICO may have discounts that include federal employee, emergency military deployment, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, anti-theft, daytime running lights, and air bags.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for homeowner, bundle discounts, drive less, anti-theft, teen safety rewards, and safe driver.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered in Miami. To see a list of insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Miami, click this link.
Quote more and you will save more
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, delays in responding to claim requests, poor customer service and lack of trust in their agent. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is less work than it seems.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to get a better price on Mercury Mariner insurance in Miami. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Miami auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest prices come from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
More tips and info about car insurance can be read at these sites:
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Explorer in Miami? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 21 in Miami? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Company Car in Miami? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Miami Car Insurance Rates for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)